Braised Spiced Rooster
Active Time45 minutes
Ready In8 days
- 2 roosters, about 4 to 5 lbs each
- 3 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 large onion or 2 small onions, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, each cut into 2 or 3 pieces
- 3 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garlic powder or granules
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- juice from 2 fresh lemons
- handfull of olives
Allow freshly slaughtered or thawed roosters to rest in fridge for 5 to 7 days.
Cut roosters up into pieces. Remove the backs and necks and save for another use such as broth.
Sprinkle salt evenly to cover rooster pieces, using about 1 tsp per pound of chicken.
Allow to dry brine in fridge overnight or up to 2 days.
Line the bottom of a slow cooker with onion slices.
Heat ghee in saute pan at medium-high heat and brown rooster pieces.
Place rooster pieces over onion slices in slow cooker.
Sprinkle all remaining ingredients over rooster pieces.
Cover and cook on high between 4 to 6 hours, or all day on low, or until desired tenderness.
Last updated on 01-26-2014