Ginger Ale Water Kefir
Active Time15 minutes
Ready In15 minutes
- 4 to 5 tbsp sucanat, rapadura, agave nectar, maple syrup, or other crystalized sugar
- 1 tbsp water kefir grains
- about 1 quart filtered or spring water
- 3 to 5 slices peeled ginger
- 1 slice lemon or squirt of lemon juice (optional)
Add water kefir grains and sweetener to a non-airtight quart sized jar or bottle.
Add enough water to fill up the jar or bottle while leaving about 1 inch of space at the top.
Shake or stir until the sugars are completely dissolved. Add ginger slices.
Cover with a non-airtight lid and allow to brew at room temperature for 24 to 48+ hours.
When it's done to your liking, strain out the grains, discarding ginger slices. Add lemon if desired, and store covered, in the fridge.
For an especially fizzy brew, strain out grains and decant water kefir about 1/2 day before it's done into airtight bottles and allow to ferment at room temperature for another 1/2 day before storing in the fridge. Open with caution as the drink may be strongly carbonated.
Last updated on 09-14-2012